Turn Your Passion Into a Reality
Our community foundation donors are passionate people with a common mission: inspiring philanthropy and transforming the quality of life in southeastern Virginia.
Since 1950, through our permanent charitable endowment we’ve invested nearly $195 million on behalf of people just like you: Generous people, who live here, work here and who strive every day to make Hampton Roads an even greater community.
You can see our donors' passions and generous spirit at work in all our region’s cities helping just about every area nonprofit you can think of - - from arts groups to homeless shelters.
What is your passion? How can we help you turn it into reality?
In Memory of Joshua P. Darden, Jr.
Click here to watch a 2011 video of Josh talking about the power of philanthropy.
We are saddened by the loss of philanthropist Joshua P. Darden Jr. of Virginia Beach on January 22, 2014 and appreciate his family designating the Hampton Roads Community Foundation for memorial gifts.
Josh was the best friend the Hampton Roads community could have – a caring, generous person who found a lifetime of ways to make his region better.
Josh served on our community foundation’s board for 27 years, chairing the board from 1999 to 2009.
He was instrumental in founding the ACCESS College Foundation, Business Consortium for Arts Support, CIVIC Leadership Institute, Smart Beginnings South Hampton Roads and the Eastern Shore of Virginia Community Foundation.
In 2009 more than 40 of Josh's friends and colleagues he had helped start in business joined together to create the Friends of Joshua P. Darden Jr. Scholarship at the community foundation. Today there are 14 Darden Scholars attending public colleges in Virginia in Josh's name. All are graduates of public high schools in South Hampton Roads.
In 2010 Josh helped spearhead the merger of The Norfolk Foundation with The Virginia Beach Foundation to create the Hampton Roads Community Foundation -- the region's largest grant and scholarship provider. Most recently he led the effort to raise $27 million for the Ray and Joan Kroc Corps Community Center, which will open in Norfolk in April.
Josh will be greatly missed in many ways.
To donate to the Hampton Roads Community Foundation in memory of Josh Darden you can:
- Mail a check made out to the Hampton Roads Community Foundation to 101 W. Main Street, Suite 4500, Norfolk, Virginia 23510. Please designate your gift in memory of Josh Darden.
- Make a credit card donation online using our secure server by clicking here. You will find an option for making a memorial gift. Please include the name of Josh Darden in the section for listing a memorial gift.
Learn more about Josh Darden, an amazing philanthropist:
- Read his obituary from The Virginian-Pilot
- Read The Virginian-Pilot article about him
- Read The Virginian-Pilot's editorial tribute
- Read the Daily Press article about him
- See a WAVY-TV story about Josh
- Read our blog post highlighting 3 important lessons Josh taught us
- View a photo gallery showing Josh at various stages of life
- Watch a video interview we made in 2011 of Josh talking about why he loves philanthropy