In the Community
Affordable Housing and the Region's Future
The Hampton Roads Community Foundation started a critical conversation at our Nov. 9 virtual forum, Affordable Housing and the Region’s Future. Experts discussed the state of affordable housing and its impact on our region and innovative solutions to address the crisis.
Read our recap of the event or watch the recording below.
Executive Director for Programs
Hampton Roads Planning District Commission
Principal, Progressive Housing Solutions LLC
Covering the Crisis
Click on the links below to learn more from local media outlets covering this crisis and its many impacts.
- Inside Business article about the Affordable Housing event
- WHRO article on housing in Hampton Roads
- WHRO article on the Virginia Beach housing market
- WHRO article on the military’s impact on the housing market
- WHRO article on the American dream of home ownership
- WHRO article on record calls for help to housing hotline
- WHRO article on first-time homebuyers
- WHRO article analyzing Hampton Roads’ housing affordability
- 13NewsNow report on affordable housing crisis
- Inside Business article on rural housing crisis
Are you experiencing a housing crisis or know someone who is? Here are some resources that may help.
ForKidsInc. Housing Crisis Hotline:
(757) 587-4202 | Hours of operation: Monday - Friday 8 a.m. - 7 p.m.
Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development programs to assist with housing needs, from housing rehabilitation to homebuyer resources.
Affordable Housing 101 Toolkit
Includes information on types of affordable housing, a glossary of terms, a guide to creating affordable housing, and a guide to awareness campaigns.
HousingForward Virginia’s guidance for advancing racial equity across Virginia’s housing spectrum.