Community Leadership Partners
The Community Leadership Partners, a giving circle of the Hampton Roads Community Foundation, is a vibrant group of philanthropists of all ages who enjoy learning about community needs and combining their resources to tackle them.
Every year, the Partners learn about Hampton Roads issues, choose a funding focus area, invite nonprofits to apply for grants, go on site visits to see programs in action, and collectively recommend grants to fund.
Since 2010, the Partners have put more than $2.5 million into action here in Hampton Roads through a competitive grants program to help area youth and young adults overcome life obstacles and thrive in school and life.
2022 Grant Focus and Request for Applications
This year, the Community Leadership Partners will fund nonprofit organizations providing prevention, intervention and/or re-engagement programs and services to help address youth disconnection in South Hampton Roads. This includes middle school or high school students who are at high risk of disconnection, and youth and youth adults ages 16-24 who are neither working nor in school nor in military service.
Grant applications should explain how the program for which funding is sought addresses one or more of the following priority impact areas:
1. Basic needs (food security, temporary shelter, and/or permanent housing assistance)
2. Health and Wellness (access to primary health assistance, professional mental/behavioral and/or substance abuse care)
3. Self-sufficiency (educational success, workforce training, and/or employment placement)
For complete grant guidelines, please click here.
The deadline is May 23, 2022.
Application Information Session
Nonprofits considering applying for this grant program are strongly encouraged to attend a virtual information session on Tuesday, April 19 from 3:00 to 4:00 p.m. At this session, HRCF staff will answer questions about this year’s Community Leadership Partners grant guidelines and the grant application process. Register here.
In addition, interested nonprofits are also invited to attend HRCF’s general grant-writing training on “Ten Tips for Preparing a Grant Proposal” on Tuesday, May 10, 2022 at 3 p.m. via Zoom.
"We enjoy the hands-on way the Partners come together to improve our community at a grassroots level. We each put in a little, and directed by the whole group, we work to create better lives."
- Lynne and Steve Winter
Join the Community Leadership Partners!
Membership is open to all. Your annual gift includes:
- Activities to learn first-hand about philanthropy and community needs
- Opportunities to actively participate in annual grantmaking activities and nonprofit site visits
- Invitations to educational and social events with other community leaders and philanthropists
Annual membership amounts are based on age:
- $2,100 for ages 50 and up
- $1,000 for ages 40-49
- $500 for ages 39 and younger
If joining as a couple, membership level is determined by the oldest member.
Ways to pay:
- By credit card online
- With a gift of securities, e.g. stocks, bonds or mutual funds (please contact HRCF for instructions
- Through your donor-advised fund
- Via Individual Retirement Account transfer (please contact HRCF for instructions)
- By mailing a check to the Hampton Roads Community Foundation, 101 W. Main Street, Suite 4500, Norfolk, VA 23510
2021 Grant Awards:
In 2021, the Partners awarded $200,000 to 15 area organizations working to help youth ages 16-24 through programs and services that provide Basic Needs, Health and Wellness, or Self-Sufficiency services.. View the 2021 grants awarded.
Click here for a list of current members of the Community Leadership Partners.
Learn about community needs and make a difference while having fun with like-minded philanthropists. Get involved