Get Involved: Community Leadership Partners
Since 2010, the Community Leadership Partners, a Hampton Roads Community Foundation giving circle, has worked collectively and collaboratively to make a difference in our region through philanthropy. The Partners – more than 150 strong – are forward-thinking people who pool resources to tackle community needs. This giving circle has put more than $2.3 million into action helping more than 80 nonprofits do great work.
"We enjoy the hands-on way the Partners come together to improve our community at a grassroots level. We each put in a little, and directed by the whole group, we work to create better lives."
- Lynne and Steve Winter
2021 Grant Focus
Every year, the Partners learn about Hampton Roads issues, choose a funding focus area, invite nonprofits to apply for grants, go on site visits to see programs in action, and recommend grants to fund.
This year, the Community Leadership Partners will fund nonprofit organizations providing programs and services to people ages 16-24 who are at high risk of disconnection, or who are neither working nor in school nor in military service.
Grant applications should explain how the program for which funding is sought addresses one or more of the following priority impact areas:
1. Basic needs (food security, temporary shelter, and/or permanent housing assistance)
2. Health and Wellness (access to primary health assistance, professional mental/behavioral and/or substance abuse care)
3. Self-sufficiency (educational success, workforce training, and/or employment placement)
For complete grant guidelines, please click here.
Grant applications will be accepted online April 1-May 17.
Nonprofits considering applying for this grant program are strongly encouraged to attend a virtual information session on Thursday, April 22, 2021 from 3:00-4:30 p.m. At this session, HRCF staff will answer questions about the Community Leadership Partners grant guidelines and grant application process.
In addition, interested nonprofits are also invited to attend HRCF’s general grant-writing training on “Ten Tips for Preparing a Grant Proposal” on Tuesday, May 4, 2021 from 3:00-4:30 p.m.
Register for either of these sessions by emailing Theresa Newbill or calling 757-622-7951.
If you are ready to apply:
Join the Partners
Community-minded adults in Hampton Roads are welcome to join the Partners. Your annual gift lets you:
- Learn first-hand about philanthropy and community needs
- Actively participate in grantmaking and nonprofit site visits
- Get to know other community leaders and philanthropists
- Attend educational and networking events
For Partners who are age 50 and up: $2,100 annually.
For Partners ages 40-49: $1,000 annually* (Note: if members are a couple, both must be in this age range).
For Partners age 39 and below: $500 annually. (Note: if members are a couple, both must be under age 40).
* $1,000 of the $2,100 gift is applied to grants and $100 pays to administer the fund; the remainder is added to a permanent endowment for future grantmaking.
Ways to pay:
- By credit card online
- By mailing a check to the Hampton Roads Community Foundation, 101 W. Main Street, Suite 4500, Norfolk, VA 23510
- With securities (e.g. stocks, bonds or mutual funds)
- With Individual Retirement Account transfer
- Through your donor-advised fund
In 2020 the Partners awarded $225,000 to 12 area organizations working in the focus areas. View the 2020 grants awarded.
Click here for a list of current members of the Community Leadership Partners.
Learn about community needs and make a difference while having fun with like-minded philanthropists. Get involved