Ways to Give
Give the way that works for you
Partner with the Hampton Roads Community Foundation for your charitable giving. You will find an option that suits you to a T.
John and Audrey Settle started the field-of-interest fund, paying tribute to Audrey's mother Eddythe Dixon, who worked with women's issues and ran a job training center in Detroit.
You can make a gift now or arrange for one later
- Establish one of six types of endowed funds and give it a name and a purpose that suits you. Minimum opening amount is $25,000.
- Arrange now to fund a charitable bequest after your lifetime. You can go ahead and select the fund name and its purpose (a scholarship, for specific causes or left flexible to meet future community challenges). Minimum amount for a named fund is $25,000.
- Have less than $25,000 to donate? Our Community Funds are a great option. They welcome any size donation and put it to work helping nonprofits working on causes in our region. You can also donate any amount to our more than 500 existing charitable funds.
- Community Leadership Partners, an active philanthropy group whose members pool resources to tackle specific causes in our region. Donation amount to join is $2,100 a year for people ages 50 and older, $1,000 for those 40-49, and $500 for those under 40.
- Visionaries for Change, a passionate group of Black business and civic leaders who donate money to a pooled fund and leverage their donations to support charitable causes in the Black community in Hampton Roads. Members donate $5,000 annually to serve at the leadership level, and annual general membership donations are $1,500 for couples and $1,000 for individuals.
Honor or remember a special person with a gift of any size to any existing fund. Support causes in Accomack or Northampton counties through our affiliate foundation, the Eastern Shore of Virginia Community Foundation.
All gifts are tax deductible to the extent the law permits. And, you can donate the asset that serves you best, from cash to IRAs and other holdings.
Note: The Hampton Roads Community Foundation's gift acceptance policy is available by request by contacting Kay Stine at (757) 622-6951.
To help you we offer:
- Free consultations with you and your attorney, accountant or other professional advisor.
- Charitable giving instruments, including ones that can give you a tax break now or income for the rest of your life
- Membership in the Legacy Society for Hampton Roads if you arrange for a future gift.
- A lasting legacy – in the form of an endowed fund – that will live on forever, doing good works in your name or that of the person you choose to honor.
Versatile IRA Option
If you are 72 or older, you have a special option for charitable giving -- donating Individual Retirement Account assets directly to charity. You can transfer any amount up to $100,000 a year without it counting as taxable income.
At the Hampton Roads Community Foundation your IRA transfer lets you start or add to a permanent charitable fund. Choose from designated, field of interest, scholarship or unrestricted funds. (Note: For now, the Internal Revenue Service does not allow transfers to donor-advised funds.)
Another option, is to consider making the community foundation a beneficiary of your IRA as part of your estate plans.
Live forever by leaving a charitable bequest to help your favorite causes or nonprofits. Bequests and Future Giving