Facts, news, and contact information
What is the Hampton Roads Community Foundation?
Established in 1950, The Hampton Roads Community Foundation is a charitable network of generous people, nonprofit partners, and civic leaders working to make Hampton Roads a thriving and more inclusive community for all. Through research, funding, and special programs, the Foundation brings the community together to tackle important regional concerns and advance racial equity.
Throughout its 70-year history, the Foundation has awarded more than $344 million in grants and scholarships to improve lives in southeastern Virginia.
- Largest grant and scholarship provider in Hampton Roads
- Connects charitable people in southeastern Virginia with causes and nonprofits they care about
- First community foundation in Virginia and the second-largest of about 30 today
- 55th largest community foundation in the United States, ranked by CF Insights
- Governed by a 15-member board of directors
- Predecessor foundations: The Norfolk Foundation, founded in 1950 and the Virginia Beach Foundation, founded in 1987. The Hampton Roads Community Foundation was formed on January 1, 2010 from a merger of these two neighboring community foundations
- Has an affiliate foundation, the Eastern Shore of Virginia Community Foundation whose endowment we manage. It started in 2004 after the Hampton Roads Community Foundation provided a challenge grant.
By the Numbers
- Manages more than 589+ named charitable funds created by donors from all walks of life
- Distributed more than $344 million in grants and scholarships since 1950
- Distributed more than $20 million in grants and scholarships in 2021
- Awarded more than $1.4 million in scholarships in 2021-22 academic year to help 417 students pay for college
- Received more than $49 million in charitable gifts in 2021 from individuals, families, businesses, and organizations
- Manages assets of more than $532 million
How We Help Nonprofits
- Supports nonprofits and initiatives working to improve life in our region.
- Awards quarterly Community Grants to nonprofits working in at least one of these major focus areas: Cultural Vitality, Economic Stability, Educational Success, Environmental Stewardship, Health and Wellness and Vibrant Places.
- Provides free training to nonprofit representatives on a variety of topics as well as monthly Call-In days.
- Founded and co-sponsor the Academy for Nonprofit Excellence with Tidewater Community College
- See a list of recent grants
- See nonprofit stories and videos
- Since 1950 charitable people have established more than 90 scholarship endowments.
- Awarded more than $21 million since 1950 to more than 4,400 students – most of them for four years of study.
- In 2021 awarded nearly $1.4 million in scholarships to help 417 students pay for college.
- Started the Understanding Hampton Roads forum series in 2018 to help advance civic engagement in the region and highlight regional issues.
- In 2019 started a new Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion emphasis in partnership with Virginia Humanities.
- Launched Minus 9 to 5 – a collective impact early care and education initiative for area children who are prenatal to age 5 and their families.
- Launched Reinvent Hampton Roads, an initiative that strives to improve Hampton Roads' economic competitiveness.
- Launched (and invested more than $8.5 million dollars in) Smart Beginnings South Hampton Roads (now Elevate Early Education), to ensure all children in the region arrive at kindergarten ready to learn.
- Co-founded and provides office space and overhead support for the Arts Alliance.
Images and Documents Available for Download
- Photo of Deborah M. DiCroce, Community Foundation president and CEO
- 2022 Annual Report [PDF]
- Spring/Summer 2022 Good Tidings Newsletter [PDF]
Cherise M. Newsome
Vice President for Communications and Marketing
Connected With Us
Subscribe to any of all of our monthly electronic newsletters: News & Notes, Grant Seekers Gazette or Advisor Update.