Facts, news and contact information
What is the Hampton Roads Community Foundation?
The Hampton Roads Community foundation is the region’s largest grant and scholarship provider. Since 1950 it has awarded more than $301 million in grants and scholarships to improve lives in southeastern Virginia.
- Largest grant and scholarship provider in Hampton Roads.
- Connects charitable people in southeastern Virginia with causes and nonprofits they care about.
- First community foundation in Virginia and the second largest of 30 today.
- 59th largest community foundation in the United States (out of more than 750).
- Governed by a 21-member board of directors.
- Predecessor foundations: The Norfolk Foundation, founded in 1950 and the Virginia Beach Foundation, founded in 1987. The Hampton Roads Community Foundation was formed on January 1, 2010 from a merger of these two neighboring community foundations.
- Has an affiliate foundation, the Eastern Shore of Virginia Community Foundation whose endowment we manage. It started in 2004 after the Hampton Roads Community Foundation provided a challenge grant.
By the Numbers
- Manages more than 550 named charitable funds created by donors from all walks of life.
- Has distributed more than $301 million in grants and scholarships since 1950.
- Distributed more than $19 million in grants and scholarships in 2019.
- Awarded nearly $1.5 million in scholarships in 2020-21 ac academic year to help 445 students pay for college.
- Received more than $15.2 million in charitable gifts in 2019 from individuals, families, businesses, and organizations.
- Manages assets of more than $378 million.
How We Help Nonprofits
- Supports nonprofits and initiatives working to improve life in our region.
- Awards quarterly Community Grants to nonprofits working in at least one of these major focus areas: Cultural Vitality, Economic Stability, Educational Success, Environmental Stewardship, Health and Wellness and Vibrant Places.
- Provides free, in-house training to nonprofit representatives on a variety of topics as well as monthly drop-in days.
- Founded and co-sponsor the Academy for Nonprofit Excellence with Tidewater Community College
- See a list of recent grants
- See nonprofit stories and videos
- Since 1950 charitable people have established more than 80 scholarship endowments.
- Awarded more than $21 million since 1950 to more than 4,400 students – most of them for four years of study.
- In 2019 awarded nearly $1.5 million in scholarships to help 434 students pay for college.
- Started the Understanding Hampton Roads forum series in 2018 to help advance civic engagement in the region and highlight regional issues.
- In 2019 started a new Diversity, Equity and Inclusion emphasis in partnership with Virginia Humanities.
- Launched Minus 9 to 5 – a collective impact early care and education initiative for area children who are prenatal to age 5 and their families.
- Launched Reinvent Hampton Roads, an initiative which strives to improve Hampton Roads' economic competitiveness.
- Launched (and invested more than $8.5 million dollars in) Smart Beginnings South Hampton Roads (now Elevate Early Education), to ensure all children in the region arrive at kindergarten ready to learn.
- Co-founded and provides office space and overhead support for the Business Consortium for Arts Support.
Images and Documents Available for Download
- Photo of Deborah M. DiCroce, Community Foundation president and CEO
- 2019 Annual Report [PDF]
- Spring/Summer 202020 Good Tidings Newsletter [PDF]
Cherise M. Newsome
Director for Multimedia Communications
Connected With Us
Subscribe to any of all of our monthly electronic newsletters: News & Notes, Grant Seekers Gazette or Advisor Update.