Get Involved: Community Leadership Partners
Since 2010, the Community Leadership Partners, a Hampton Roads Community Foundation giving circle, has worked collectively and collaboratively to make a difference in our region through philanthropy. The Partners – more than 250 strong – are forward-thinking people who pool resources to tackle community needs. This giving circle has put more than $2.1 million into action helping more than 80 nonprofits do great work.
"We enjoy the hands-on way the Partners come together to improve our community at a grassroots level. We each put in a little, and directed by the whole group, we work to create better lives."
- Lynne and Steve Winter
Every year, the Partners learn about Hampton Roads issues, choose a funding focus area, invite nonprofits to apply for grants, go on site visits to see programs in action, and recommend grants to fund.
2020 Grant Focus
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic and its dramatic and heart-wrenching impacts on our region, the Community Leadership Partners have modified this year’s grantmaking program.
In 2020 the Community Leadership Partners will only accept grant requests from the 22 nonprofit organizations it supported in 2018 and 2019 who provide intervention and/or re-engagement programs serving disconnected youth ages 16-24, or provide prevention programs for middle school or high school students who are at high risk of disconnection.
The purpose of this year’s grants program is to support organizations with their efforts to adapt and respond to urgent and essential needs of disconnected youth and young adults who are impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic, and middle or high school students at high risk of disconnection. Grants awarded are for organizations that provide direct services, and may be used to support general organizational needs.
Previous year's grant focus was on:
- Intervention and/or re-engagement programs that help youth between the ages of 16 and 24 who are not working, in school or the military, or
- Prevention programs that help middle school or high school students at risk of unemployment and not completing school
In 2019 the Partners awarded $225,000 to 14 area organizations working in the focus areas. View the 2019 grants awarded
Click here for a list of current members of the Community Leadership Partners.
Join the Partners
Community-minded adults in Hampton Roads are welcome to join the Partners. Your annual gift lets you:
- Learn first-hand about philanthropy and community needs
- Actively participate in grantmaking and nonprofit site visits
- Get to know other community leaders and philanthropists
- Attend educational and networking events
For Partners who are age 50 and up: $2,100 annually.
For Partners ages 40-49: $1,000 annually* (Note: if members are a couple, both must be in this age range).
For Partners age 39 and below: $500 annually. (Note: if members are a couple, both must be under age 40).
* $1,000 of the $2,100 gift is applied to grants and $100 pays to administer the fund; the remainder is added to a permanent endowment for future grantmaking.
Ways to pay:
- By credit card online
- By mailing a check to the Hampton Roads Community Foundation, 101 W. Main Street, Suite 4500, Norfolk, VA 23510
- With securities (e.g. stocks, bonds or mutual funds)
- With Individual Retirement Account transfer
- Through your donor-advised fund
Learn about community needs and make a difference while having fun with like-minded philanthropists. Get involved