Wire Transferring Stock

Instructions for transferring stock

Gifts of publicly traded stock, closely held stock (including S-Corp shares) and mutual fund shares can be used to establish or add to a fund at the Hampton Roads Community Foundation. You receive a charitable income tax deduction that is usually based on your securities’ current market value. Transferring stock to the Hampton Roads Community Foundation is done electronically through the Depository Trust Company (DTC) to SunTrust Bank, our custodian. Your broker will need the exact DTC Delivery Instructions. Please contact Kay Stine, vice president for development at (757) 622-7951 so we can provide that information and help your broker get them moved.

We also need a copy of the instructions you give your financial advisor and will need to know the donor’s name, company name of the stock being transferred, number of shares and the name of the existing fund or the new fund at Hampton Roads Community Foundation fund to which the assets should be added.

Stock Certificates and Stock Powers

Hampton Roads Community Foundation will accept unsigned stock certificates by overnight mail or physical delivery to the Foundation’s office. Please follow these instructions:

  • If you send a stock certificate that is in your name, write a brief letter of instruction that includes your name, purpose of the gift, name of stock(s) and number of shares to be donated.
  • Under separate cover, you must provide a signed stock power for each security you contribute. You will need a separate stock power for each stock or certificate with different CUSIP numbers. The Foundation does not recommend sending signed certificates. Stock powers are available from the Foundation or from any broker.
  • Your signature on the stock power must be medallion guaranteed by a bank or broker, not notarized.
  • You may hand deliver the unsigned stock certificate and signed stock power to the Foundation’s Offices located at 101 W. Main Street, Suite 4500, Norfolk, VA 23510.
  • If you do not hand deliver the stock certificate and stock power, mail the unsigned stock certificate and letter of instruction in one package, and the signed, medallion guaranteed stock power in a separate envelope. Send both by overnight mail in separate packages.
  • Contact the Foundation to let us know that the gift is in process.

Stock Held in Direct Investment Accounts

Hampton Roads Community Foundation will accept stocks held in direct investment accounts. Each company administers these programs differently, and you should contact your administrator for details about how to transfer shares for a charitable gift. Please allow adequate time for completion of a gift.

Our Contact Information

Hampton Roads Community Foundation
101 W. Main Street, Suite 4500
Norfolk, VA 23510
Attn: Kay Stine
Phone: (757) 622-7951
Email: kstine@hamptonroadscf.org
Fax: (757) 622-1751