How to Apply
Applying for a graduate, medical or theological scholarship
The 2020-21 online application is available NOW.
- Most graduate & medical scholarships - CLOSED
- Theological scholarships - April 1, 2020
- Carpenter Memorial Scholarship - April 1, 2020
- Palmer Farley Memorial Scholarship - May 1, 2020
We're glad you're here. Lots of generous people are rooting for you as you continue your education.
Here are the basics for applying for a Hampton Roads Community Foundation graduate, medical or theological scholarship.
- Read the list of all available post-graduate scholarships to determine for which ones you are eligible. They fall into three categories: Medical School (medical students only); Theological School; and general Graduate School Scholarships in a variety of fields. Though you are submitting a general application, most of the scholarships have particular criteria which you may or not meet. You have an advantage if you meet one of the criteria; you will not be considered at all if you don't.
- Note the overall expectations. Most, but not all, of the scholarships assume that you: can demonstrate financial need; will be enrolled full-time while on scholarship; are from South Hampton Roads or Virginia (read specific criteria)
- Complete and file your application electronically. You need only submit one general application to be considered for more than one scholarship. You can save your work and return to it later. Note: The online application process is not used for the Carpenter Scholarship. Click here to download the Carpenter application.
- Gather these materials BEFORE you sign on to start your application. It will make your work go much easier and faster.
- Enter the scholarship portal to complete and file your application electronically. A few things to know: You need only submit one general application to be considered for multiple scholarships. You can save your work and return to it later to complete. Learn more on how to use the scholarship portal
- Meet the deadline. Applications for all scholarships will be available on December 1. Your completed application is due by March 1 the following year (unless a different deadline is listed).
- We will automatically consider you with every award for which you qualify. Since funds are always limited, our Scholarship Committee will select the best-matched people to receive scholarships.
- You will be notified in April one way or the other as whether you won a scholarship.
- Many scholarships are renewable. You will need to complete renewal forms and send transcripts each year to continue receiving the scholarship.